Thursday, January 25, 2007

ZZZZZZZ

I don't know what it is, but since moving to NYC, I've had trouble sleeping... At the first place I lived, which was an older, walk-up building, I suspected it was because it was too noisy... But since I moved to a newer, quiter building, things haven't really improved.

I have no trouble falling asleep, in fact that happens within minutes. But my issue is that I wake up too early, at around 6 or 5:30... and then I try and force myself to sleep until 8...(or 7:20 on days I have early meetings). (It feels almost like I'm taking a red-eye every night!) As we all know, anything forced is not that great... So if anyone out there is an expert on sleeping, and especially skilled at staying asleep, holler at me!

Ok, end of whining, off to dinner!

7 comments:

Suz said...

huh? That totally sucks! I am not an expert on sleeping, but am on insomnia. I have the opposite problem - have trouble falling asleep, but once I'm asleep, I will generally keep sleeping.

I discovered that part of my issue was that I wasn't sleeping on a real mattress. (I have a futon.) Have you tried a better mattress, like a Sealy Posturepedic?

Dazhi said...

i just got a nice new mattress but it hasn't helped things.. i was talking to the trader at my current company and found out that he doesn't really sleep at all. he wakes 20-30 times a night. and has been doing this for the past 10 years - as long as he has been in the industry!

Suz said...

Do you think you need to trade industries then?
I just read a news story on nature.com about orexins and sleep. Not going to help you in the immediate future, unfortunately:
http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070122/full/070122-13.html

Dazhi said...

i don't think i need to trade industries.... i think that i need to relax more... one thing i've realized about me lately is that i'm less patient. and have a shorter fuse. like i'll be mad at taxi driver for making a bad turn or something... i think this is a sign of higher stress. which in turn leads to poor sleep. so i'm going to try reducing overall stress level...

Suz said...

I now have whatever form of insomnia you have! (I.e. I fell asleep, then woke up at 3am and haven't been able to fall back asleep yet...)

Maybe you should get a personal masseuse to help you relieve your stress!

Dazhi said...

this whole blogging thing is strange, why are we posting our msgs to eachother here? what don't bloggers like about email?

personal masseuse idea is awesome!

Suz said...

hey, I tried to add you as an IM buddy on AOL instant messenger, but it keeps "forgetting" you.
I guess I could e-mail you, but then I bet you won't answer. Okay, I will mail you something within 24 hours...